Creamy Elk & Cauliflower Rice Casserole
If you are a successful hunter and have wild game in the freezer, you should give this one a try. It can be made with any type of ground meat, however, my family loves it with ground elk. In my household we follow a paleo, primal or caveman diet. Whatever you want to call it, we focus on eating a diet of whole foods with real ingredients. This recipe is simple, delicious and has become one of our go to meals.
Course: Main dish
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 people
- 1 pound ground elk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large head cauliflower, riced
- 2 cups cashew cream *see notes below
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- * Make cashew cream. Soak two cups of cashews in water overnight. Drain and rinse. Using a high speed blender, add 2 cups water and cashews. Blend until a smooth and creamy consistency is reached. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add 1 tsp of avocado oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the onion and garlic. Next, mix in cauliflower rice and continue to cook
- In a separate skillet, brown the elk meat until no longer pink
- Add oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to the cauliflower rice mixture as it’s cooking. Stir frequently for about ten minutes until everything is cooked.
- Add kale to cauliflower mixture. Continue to cook until kale is wilted.
- Combine elk, rice mixture and cashew cream into a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a 2.5 quart baking dish. Put in oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until thoroughly warmed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.